30.11.07

Psychology + Philosophy, or is that VS?

I graduated from BYU with a Bachelor's degree in Philosophy and walked away with 4 years + worth of learning for a lifetime (of knowledge and learning-skills). One conclusion I had walked away with from the BYU campus with was this: Psychology is an anti-philosophy.

I almost cringed when I heard people trying to expllain to other people about who I was, "Oh yeah, he's studying psychology at school!" My Grandma was the most famous for saying that.

It doesn't bother me so much any more, simply because it opens the door to let me correct a common misconception... They are not the same thing! Almost just as famous of a misconception is that philosophy is evil.

Ironically that idea comes from the truest of all things: the gospel of Jesus Christ and even from the temple ("... philosophies of men, mingled ..."). Nothing could be further from the truth! As an ex-philosophy student you might find yourself thinking that I have just been completely "won-over" or "duped" or that I am so far into the forrest that I can't see the trees. Stop though... No, that's right, just STOP!!! Now realize that all philosophy is a way to find THE TRUTH and isn't a corrupted gospel.

Philosophy is not an anti-truth or teachings from the anti-Christ or Satan. I think, in fact, like I've said already, that there is only one perfect philosophy: the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

My point (yes, I do have a point and am not intending to ramble...) is that Psychology is, in fact, an anti-philosophy or an anti-truth. And what do we learn from the Lord himself? In Doctrine and Covenants section 93, verse 24 and 25, we read that:

24 And truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come;
25 And whatsoever is more or less than this is the spirit of that wicked one who was a liar from the beginning.

When you are teaching young impressionable minds, please only teach the truth and the means for discovering the truth for yourself...

JPS

No comments: