22.11.07

Fix you...

I'm listening to "Fix You" by Coldplay, on their X&Y album, and I saw a dumb sitcom on TV today about this brother who ended up in a string of bad relationships because he always was sympathetic to the girl's plight and jumped in to "rescue" the girl. This move always ended up in tragedy, with his heart being broken while in the midst of trying to solve the girl's problems. I feel for this poor guy and can feel myself in his place a lot of the time.

What is it about some guys (or maybe even most guys if not ALL guys) that makes them think that if there is a problem with the girl that they are interested in or seeing/spending time with, they think that they can and need to solve the problems of that girl?

I think that part of the reason is that it all comes back down to the "trying to get the girl syndrome" or they feel like if the take the burdens of the girl on their own back, then the girl will be interested in them--if for no other reason than they are currently carrying that burden. I am often in the same situation: Recently I tried to take on the financial burden of a girl that I was dating before she left on her mission. She kindly declined my help...

Can you see, I was and am trying to get into the fix-you relationships!

The thing is... I figure that getting into a relationship is kind of "signing-up" for a hard life and, therefore, necessarily is volunteering to fix one another. I just can't wait to be in a relationship where we are both trying to fix ourselves and simultaneously do-our-part-to-make-the-other's-life better...

JPS

No comments: