25.5.08

Irony (vs. Sarcasm)--

Dark irony is: any ironic comment or statement that is NOT humorous, such as--

Comic irony (true irony...) is: any kind of witty thing said referring to something done or said in the past (even one second ago [= quick irony or cleaver irony]) that is clever and or humorous and has a literal meaning that is not what is trying to be conveyed...

Today in church (LDS) I had to emphasize over and over or point out the difference between Sarcasm and Irony.

You see, and this is a totally common misunderstanding for most of us, Sarcasm is: A mockingly ironic statement! But what most people call sarcasm or "that guy was just being sarcastic", they actually intend to convey an idea of a person being ironic.

What I'm pointing out here is just what the definition of sarcasm says, it can't be sarcastic unless it is is mean-spirited and directed towards somebody. In fact, you can not be sarcastic towards an object or thing; it must be mocking towards someone!

I hope that we've all got that difference down and don't contaminate our children's idea of irony with our using that misnomer in front of them. If you don't understand, try reading C. S. Lewis', The Screwtape Letters to get a better idea of a very good use of "irony". If you still are not sure if you understand, please read it again!!!

JPS

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I always thought I was sarcastic... now I know I was because everything was directed to myself, as I am an object... it's like when you point your finger at someone, and three of your fingers are pointing back at you... or even farther from the point... that song from that Canadian singer Alanis Morissette "Ironic" where the word ironic is mis-used grammatically.

How's it going Josh?

Matt said...

You love talking about sarcasm/irony. Given your definitions, I think I am usually sarcastic. My quips usually ARE directed at someone. And they can usually be taken in an offensive way...or not.

I think most people don't understand the difference, and probably never will. The definition of sarcasm is likely to change because of this, don't you think? Eventually it'll mean just what everyone thinks it does. :)

JPS said...

That'd be sad and fun if the word evolved and lost its original meaning. And, "a little to ironic, yeah, don't you think!"

What if then, it came to have the watered-down meaning that Alanis gave it? "Yeah, I really do think!"

JPS

Matt said...

Ya, I think Morriset has succeeded in redefining the word.