17.5.08

Harold Crick's almost inhuman speed

So, ever since I first started watching the movie "Stranger then Fiction" (and some would say that I watch it 'religiously'...), I've wondered (sometimes even out-loud) how the HERO of the show, Harold Crick, dashes out and saves the little boy from being hit by an oncoming-bus as quickly as he does.

The other night I came up with the answer (and this is completely and totally from the stand-point of Harold's life being lived out in my world--I don't even know the guy though, so don't worry!). So, in the movie Harold walks up to his usual-bus-stop, and scootches his way to the curb, and moments later bolts out from the curb and snatches a little 5-or-6-year-old boy on a tricycle, and saves the boy's life from being snuffed-out by a bus.

Seen the movie? I wonder if you've pondered the question as I have... No? Not seen the movie or not pondered this question? Doesn't matter, I'm going to tell you why...

There are two reasons why Harold is able to act so quickly:
1) He is able to move so quickly because he had already made up his mind as to what he was going to do in such a situation. He had gone over the scenario over and over (ever since he read the book-of-his-life) and had seen the situation (at least in his mind's eye...) and knew what he, therefore, needed to do.

2) The second reason is much like the first (in fact, I could have made 1 large paragraph containing the two reasons as 1...). When Harold is talking to the doctor in his hospital room, the doctor says,

"That was a pretty brave thing you did."
"Huh?"
". . . stepping in front of that bus... was pretty brave and pretty stupid."
". . . Yeah . . ."

Later, Harold is talking to his girlfriend and says,

"I didn't have a choice... I had to!"

You see, because he already "knew" what was going to happen (even if, like I said before, all of this had already happened in his mind's eye) he was anxious to make sure that what-he-had-already-watched-happen-in-his-mind happened exactly like he had already thought of... He knew that he could save the boy and wanted to make sure that he wouldn't allow anything else to happen instead!

May we all act so promptly and effectively to make sure that act in such a way to bring about those most important events and actions in life come about!!!

JPS

No comments: