6.7.08

Parting blows...

The way I see it, there are two reasons why you should use a parting blow...

To explain what I am trying to convey with the term, "parting blow" (because each of us knows what the word means, whether we dish them out or whether we have been on the receiving end of one), let me explain what one is, and in the meantime I will answer the question, "why use one?":

1) The most common way these are used is in being malicious! You use a parting blow so that you can ensure that there will be no time for the other person to have a 'quick comeback'... so that you will have "the last word in the matter"... or so that you can defeat the other person and leave them with no will power or time or possibility to respond to your blow!

2) I've just thought of another way to use a "parting blow" with less than the unfair and hurtful way that you used it in the first scenario: You make your last statement or word on the matter in such a way that you have now put the issue to rest and because there is going to be no comeback or response to your statement...

Is there room for both possibilities in your dialogue? Yes. Should you ever use possibility 1 then? I really don't believe that you should ever do such a thing... Which leaves you with the warning that if you think that you need to use a parting blow in a conversation, then it should be done ONLY keeping in mind that if you do stray off-course and say something in a sarcastic or a belittleing or an outright-snotty way, you are in the wrong and can only opologize and do something or say something to let the other know that you are never going to say such a thing again...

Just repent and by so-doing change your mind!

JPS

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I guess I need to repent for that last thing I told you... ha. I agree with the post.