7.7.08

"Lying with his eyes", feedback!

So, I finished watching the movie "The Island" with Ewan McGregor, and heard a very interesting phrase: "Something is wrong! His eyes are lying...".

This makes me immediately think of the Beatles song, "Happiness is a Warm Gun" which says, "Lying with his eyes, while his hands are busy working overtime...".

I simply want to hear from you all (Yes! Even YOU... and don't think that I won't notice that YOU don't respond); what you all think about lying with your eyes!!!

Just submit your commentary or thoughts as a response to this post... Some time in the future, I will write an entire blog/post about the idea, as it is one of my favorite things to think about in the entire world!

Write away, please!!! I am most interested to hear what you have to say (Matt and others, please refrain from letting a Beatles commentary be mojority of your reply, as I am well aware that you could write pages and pages about that song/the authors/etc., but FOCUS on the meaning behind the words)!

JPS

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I will give my 2 cents...

The eyes look away for a lie. It's not the only give away to a lie. Of course you can't see my eyes right now... let's see what the Eagles have to say about this:

You can't hide your lyin' eyes
And your smile is a thin disguise
I thought by now you'd realize
There ain't no way to hide your lyin eyes

Cami said...

Ok. So, yes, I believe eyes can lie. Isn't it all the spy movies the millions of ways people can tell you are lying, and about half of them are your eyes (looking down and to the left and whatnot)? I know for sure that I can tell if my closest friends and relations are lying just by their eyes. But I guess that is telling the TRUTH with your eyes. . .

If you are sneaky, you can make your eyes lie. The truth is not the only thing to be found in them while you are lying with your mouth. Actors have to lie all the time, if you want to call it that. Those actors who we don't see lies in are the bad ones. (Let's look at Keanu Reeves in, say, A Walk in the Clouds--do his eyes say I love you??? Nope. OR Kevin Costner in Robin Hood--do his eyes say I can save the day? No way. Nor do they say he can speak with an English accent.)

And so, lying with your eyes. It can be done. Should it? Under what circumstances? Actually I think that the way it is used in music is mostly backwards--they are telling the TRUTH with their eyes whilst telling a lie. Ah well. Close enough.