3.10.08

But, isn't it "only natural"?

What does that phrase intend to mean exactly?

Let's look at a couple possible scenarios (remembering that we can substitute any sin with the sin listed in the example!) For example: We may not be prone to violence, but in this first example:

"It's only natural that I murdered my wife and left my children motherless... BUT she has been yelling at me for 30 years! ..."

"Sure... sometimes when I daydream at work or even at home, I think of sex with a woman other than my wife or killing my boss... I am a man, though, and can't help but feel those types of urges! right?"

"It's only natural that I cheated on my taxes... After all, the Government already has their fair share, and the government owed me that money and I don't consider it 'stealing'!"

"My son was foolish last summer and had sex with his long-time and steady girlfriend, but I don't blame him because it was just his hormones and it's only natural to have those feelings and then let your body take its natural course: weren't we made to do just that?"

This next scenario might be hard to read...

"My older bother came over, last night, to help me finish painting my garage ceiling and we got to joking and I told him about some of the dumb things that my wife has done to me lately... I mean, I can't believe that she would ever do that to anyone, but to her own husband!?! My brother says that I should seriously consider divorcing her!"

So, where could we place the "it's only natural label" on that scenario? On just the brother? On just the husband? On both? Why?

Just remember one of the most profound verses in scripture that speaks-to just this sort of topic:

For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Spirit, and putteth-off the natural man, and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full-of-love, willing-to-submit to all things that the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.

JPS

No comments: