8.8.08

I will not be complacent! I will not be complacent!

One summer Stephanie and I went to an Indigo Girls concert up at Wolf Mountain (or was that before the name change from Park West?) and besides good and fine music, one of the parts that I remember most about the concert was that after singing a song from their new Swamp Ophelia album she kept chanting, "I will not be complacent" again and again...

I'm sure it was spawned by some sort of desire to become even more of an activist or better yet, to inspire those listening to become a some sort of activist in one of their many causes (you know... save the wales, legalize gay and lesbian marriages, what-have-you!).

The reason why I am saying that "I will not be complacent" is because I am going to do what is right, no matter the outcome ("Do it now!" -President Spencer W. Kimball). I am talking about doing what is right on every level of life--my school, my work, my family life, my friendship activities, my personal life, and my church activity--even things that I will say or wright!

The irony of this whole story which was inspired by the Indigo Girls is that the night of the concert was on a Sunday... So was the night that I was taken to a Sundance Film Festival showing of a Stewart Copeland movie about the Police; on a Sunday...

The thing that causes me to write this is: It's nobody's fault that I chose to go to these two events on Sunday... Nobody forced me to and it's not like I didn't have a choice. My own choices and the way I was being and acting was as an enemy to God and to what I knew and know to be right!

I think that I am out of danger of succumbing to the Sabbath-day-breaking desires that hounded me, but, I need to recommit myself to making all of the choices that I feel are going to be the most helpful and beneficial and inspiring-to-others that I can! Regardless of who says differently (even me and my natural man flare-ups), I am going to act, insofar as I am able, in strict accordance with God's will and then allow My Savior's atonement make up for the rest!

JPS

No comments: