30.8.08

How to be more "upbeat"!

Since I'm not exactly sure how it is that I am supposed to be more upbeat than I already am, I am going to write about "HOW" to become more upbeat and in the process, I hope to be more upbeat!

Just so you know, I don't feel like I am depressed or even gloomy, but as soon as I start writing--I am not the most positive person around! I don't know... Maybe it's just the subject matter or the the things that I choose to talk about. I think by trying to explain how it is that I should be sounding, I will become that type of writer (at least until I write again...).

I am taking this idea of not-knowing-how-to-become-a-certain-way-so-you-just-start-talking-as-if-you-are-already-that-way from a quote from Brigham Young. He once said that, More people have obtained a testimony while standing up trying to bear it, than down on their knees praying for it.

So, my ideas for starting to write and being upbeat are:

1) Let your happiness come through your writing! As in, if you are a naturally happy person, then let that happiness come across to others...

2) Don't choose to write or talk about anything that is or could be construed as potentially sad or even disheartening!

3) Write with someone in mind that makes you happy! Use this idea-of-the-person to "check" yourself and keep yourself from straying from the desired happiness...

4) Think back on what you're writing and make sure that you are actually getting happier/more excited just from putting words about that thing that you're writing about...

and 5) Ask yourself if you could conceivably bring this same topic into an already happy conversation with a loved-one without "bringing them down" or ruining the mood!

I realize that I, myself, haven't followed these rules and have kind-of avoided the whole topic of being happy... These are good guidelines to follow and keep yourself from not being a-happy-writer, even if this post has just been a meta-happiness-blog!

JPS

2 comments:

Cami said...

Hmmm . . . I've never felt your posts were downers. And I don't know, I think there are some subjects that do need to be talked and written about, even if they are sort of gloomy. However, I do often make sure I have a happy fun post afterward to lighten the mood. These are definitely good guidelines for those whiney posters (of which I am guilty of being every now and then).

Unknown said...

I enjoyed this post, I like the quote from Brigham young. The ideas for bringing more happiness into your life and writing are great. I do have to say though that life isn't just peaches and ice cream! Sometimes it's good to talk about our pains and trials, it's actually healing and therapeutic. Mostly on my blog I write about happy times because that's what I want to remember but it also is cheating others a bit because they think your life might seem oh too perfect but in reality we all have HARD days and Sad times. :)