16.11.11

Self-Analysis

"Stop analyzing me and start analyzing yourself," she quipped.

In the first instant I think, "I am in a constant state of self-analyzation..." Is that true though?

All of us think (or most of us anyway) that we are fully introspective in a way that we think that we are always analyzing ourselves--but we're not. I'm not.

Almost all of us live our lives on autopilot and are making decisions only based on what would feel good to us, or sometimes based on what we've already chosen in the past.

Is that right? Shouldn't we take time, at least weekly, to analyze ourselves and see what there is to change? Is there anything to change or are we fine with how we are?

As a counselor, I have learned that in order to counsel with someone we should be in a state of relative congruence. That means that I shouldn't be acting in a way that's contrary to the things that I know to be right and good. Shouldn't all of us be living in such a state? Shouldn't all of us be living according to that which we know and believe to be right and good and true?

Stop analyzing me and start analyzing yourself--start acting according to that which you already know or believe to be just and good and true!

JPS

4 comments:

The Rave said...

The opinion of what's Right and Good isn't constant from person to person, I think. We must be considerate of all others as our beliefs good, bad, right and wrong might hinder another's peace of mind.

The Rave said...

Please pardon. I was just being extemporaneous.

Nat Dandridge said...

What people believe to be right and good and true is a very subjective thing, and inevitable contradictions would ensue if everyone acted according to this.

Although I agree that people should be true to their morals, is it a good thing to compromise the beliefs of others in the name of accomplishing what we believe to be right and good and true?

circlelovely said...

I really enjoyed your post. Thanks for sharing this. All too often we do go about our lives on autopilot. I believe it was Socrates who said that "the unexamined life is a life not worth living." How true that is!